When dealing with clients and potential clients they are always after the numbers, so i thought it would put together a list of interesting twitter facts to date.
- As of April 2014 there are 2,500,000 Twitter users in Australia
- 255 million monthly active users world wide
- 78% of Twitter active users are on mobile
- 35% of twitter users are 30+
- 56% of Twitter users say they use the microblogging site for business or work related purposes
- People earring $75,000+ USD covers 19% of twitter users (this is the highest %)
- 17% of users engagement is with brands on the weekend
- Tweets with images get 2x the engagement then those without
- Tweets with less than 100 characters get 17% more engagement
- Twitter’s fastest growing demographic is 55–64 year-olds (This demographic has grown 79% since 2012.)
- Tweets with # get 2x more engagement
- 66% of user-generated tweets that mention brands come from mobiles
- Twitter users who mostly use a mobile device are 181% more likely to be on twitter during commute (so tweet in travel hours)
- Tweets containing links are 86% more likely to be retweeted
- With so many high profile users on Twitter, many companies have developed 3rd party applications to integrate with Twitter.
- 42% learn about products and services via Twitter. 41% provide opinions about product/services 19% seek customer support.
The fact that stands out to me the most and that blows the minds of my clients is that twitters fastest growing demographic is 55-64 years old. The number of the users in this age group is up 79% since 2012. This is an astonishing increase in the number of users aged 55-64, contradicting the saying social media is “just for teenagers”, thats so far from the truth.
As seen in my recent post “Six Myths of Social Media Sharing” the 55-64 demographic is becoming more and more interactive on Facebook, not just Twitter. It might be time for companies to step away from the old thinking and create marketing plans that now target this booming online demographic and reap the rewards of their engagement.